Wednesday, December 21, 2011

More Diplacodes bipunctatus...And I Need a Better Camera

 Another fuzzy photo: Diplacodes bipunctatus, male, by a rain puddle
 Rain catchment originally devised by my ingenious Grandpa
Weeds galore! and a young banana plant

A few photos of today's adventure in the garden. Weeding is the main task right now. I thought it would be rather boring, but there's a certain satisfaction that comes out of doing something practical with your hands, even if it is just pulling out ugly grass and vine. My dad helped dig out the impossibly heavy bricks surrounding the dead palm trees. We got sidetracked trying to identify the shells of land snails scattered about the soil. The shells are numerous, but they are all introduced species. A tragic war of attrition is occurring right now. Many of Guam's endemic land snails are very endangered or already extinct, being pushed out be introduced species and land development. I bet most of the fauna and flora in the yard is introduced, not including my additions like the genovese basil.

Sat by a rain puddle to try to catch a pic of Diplacodes bipunctatus, which is pretty common in the yard. My zoom function sucks though, and the details of it's body are hard to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment